Bad breath or halitosis is one of a major turn off in a social gathering which could affect your overall appearance in public. How can one have bad breath? During this pandemic where we are required to wear mask when we go out, we might notice having bad breath mouth having to smell our own breath inside the mask. I am sure it causes discomfort to you for facing this condition.
What causes bad breath?
There are few factors that could contribute to bad breath.
- Dental issues: Cavities and pockets from gum diseases provide bacteria extra places to hide in your mouth that are difficult to clean with toothbrushing and flossing.
- Dry mouth: Saliva is important to help rinse and remove unwanted food particles and has digestive enzymes to break down food to be absorbed into the body system. Dry mouth occurs when one is fasting, tobacco or excessive caffeine consumption and sign of certain medical conditions.
- Smoking and tobacco: Tobacco wreaks havoc to your body system. Not only do many tobacco products leave bad odour on your breath; they can also contribute to dry mouth condition.
- Consumption of certain types of food such as garlic and stinky beans.
- Certain chronic medical illness such as kidney and liver problem.
What do I have to do?
Dentist will identify the cause of your bad breath problem. Proper treatment will be carried out accordingly. In general, these are the things that we can do to improve bad breath condition:
- Improve your toothbrushing technique. Do not forget to brush your tongue as well. You may use mouthwash to freshen up your breath.
- Visit your dentist regularly to identify the cause of your problem. You may get scaling and polishing treatment during your regular dental check ups.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid taking food with strong odour in public events or places.
Do not hesitate to visit us and receive your consultation. It is our pleasure to see you and help you with your bad breath problem and enhance your self confidence and public appearance.