You have extracted your tooth or teeth before and now you are considering something to fix it. Your dentist might suggest dental implant as an option.
What is dental implant?
Dental implant is a metal fixture that is inserted surgically into your jawbone to replace missing tooth. It is the best option to replace single missing tooth. Since it is fixed into your jawbone, it will stay in your mouth permanently. To some patients who had implants before, they feel this prosthesis is part of them and is more comfortable than other types of prosthesis which are dental bridge or dentures.
Factors to consider
Before placing an implant, the oral surgeon will examine on few factors.
- Age : Implant will not be placed in a young patient. If a child or an adolescent loses his/her tooth, he/she has to wait until the growth spurt is complete. In the meantime, they can wear denture as temporary solution. Also, it is not contraindicated in an old patient as long as the patient has no severe medical issues that might hinder healing process.
- General medical conditions : Good health is a gold standard for the case selection. Uncontrolled medical illnesses such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension and heart diseases are contraindicated until they are fully controlled. Uncontrolled medical conditions may adversely affect the surgical procedure and subsequent wound healing.
- Residual bone ridge : Good amount of residual bone is required for an implant to be stable in the mouth. Tooth loss which has occurred for a long time might cause patient to lose a great amount of bone. Too little residual bone is not suitable for implant placement unless bone graft or bone augmentation is done prior to implant surgery.
- Cost : It is the most expensive treatment option compared to bridges or dentures.
- Oral hygiene : Most important aspect of treatment suitability is oral hygiene. Patient needs to maintain top notch oral condition for any treatment to be successful. If you are deemed to have poor oral hygiene, the dentist might want to review your oral condition until it improves. In other words, patient motivation is also the key to a successful dental treatment.
- Habits :
- Smoking – Heavy nicotine smoking will hinder the healing process after surgery.
- Parafunction habit – Bruxism is an excessive clenching of teeth/ jaw. It predisposes dental implants to failure because of overload. Therefore, this condition must be treated first. Otherwise, the implant must be inserted cautiously to an area of relatively low masticatory load or the patient has to consider other options.
Surgical planning is done after intraoral examination. Patients is sent for CBCT imaging to visualise intraoral condition in 3D. The lab technician will construct a surgical stent as a guide for implant placement.
During surgery day, local anesthesia is given before incision is made. The implant is inserted into the bone through the surgical stent. Bone graft will be added if is needed in area where the existing jawbone does not have enough thickness. Suture is placed to close the surgical area and the patient will be sent home with post operative instructions and medications.
On second stage which is few months later, another incision is made on the same surgical site. The cover screw is removed and healing abutment is placed.
For the third visit, an impression will be made using silicone and is sent to the lab for manufacturing of the crown. Once ready, the crown is placed onto the abutment.
Following the treatment, review and follow up is required every year to evaluate the implant status.
Post Operative Care
Patient is advised to avoid hot food and drinks for 24 hours following the surgery. This is to avoid excessive bleeding from the surgical site.
Medications are given to relieve pain, control infection and reduce inflammatory reactions.
It is advisable to avoid sunny place and restrain from strenuous exercise or vigorous physical activities.
The surgical area should be kept clean at all times to reduce inflammation and pain.
If you have a missing teeth and are considering an implant, you may reach us at https://www.instagram.com/klinikpergigianmawarni/ , book your appointment here, call us at 03-74926682 or WhatsApp us at 017-6600160.